Event Info & Registration
Where: High Plains Unitarian Universalist Church, Colorado Springs, CO
When: Friday, December 6th through Sunday, December 8th. Check-in at 5:30 on Friday, eat before or bring your dinner. Leave at 9 am on Sunday morning after breakfast and clean up.
What: This basic training will provide you with facilitation skills, a clear understanding of what it means to be a spiritual leader and prepare you for leadership positions in your congregation, the district, and at cons. Any sophomore or junior who attends this training are able to then apply for the District Youth Chair position - which will be voted on by fellow students at the end of the training.
LDC Grads can be:
- Gaggle Group Leaders - small group ministry facilitators at cons.
- Con Planners - on a team of youth and adults who plan and impliement healthy, covenant based district conferences for youth and adult sponsors.
- Workshop Leaders - presenters/facilitators of theme based workshops at conferences.
- YAC Members - Youth Adult Committee members, a district leadership group dedicated to encouraging radical hospitality, youth empowerment, consciousness raising and social change in our district wide community.
- District Youth Chair - head of the YAC, voice of the district youth community
- Future LDC Trainers - District Youth Chair facilitates these trainings alongside a qualified adult.
- QUUest Counselors in Training - Get a discounted rate for QUUest camp and partner with a young adult Counselor to lead one of QUUest's programs: Worship Arts; Covenant Clans; Craft and Field Games; etc.
Youth that attend must have been in YRUU for at least one year. District Chair will be elected by your peers at the training. Youth who will be in YRUU for at least 1 more year may run for District Youth Chair.
Adults who attend will be asked to serve as sponsors for the overnight portion (curfew is 11:00 PM) so that the trainers may sleep off site. Attending this training enables you to facilitate future trainings.
Jessica Laike - Director of Faith Formation, High Plains Church
Duncan Barnhill Youth District Chair, First Universalist Denver
Download the flyer:
THERE ARE THREE STEPS TO BE CONSIDERED FULLY REGISTERED
1) REGISTER ONLINE
Registration is now closed.
2) Send forms:
All applicants must fill out the forms packet and send to the registrar (PDF): 2013 Leadership Development Packet
Please do not submit payment if you did not register before November 22, 2013!
The cost of registration is $75. Use Paypal (you don't have to have a Paypal account!):
OR send a check with LDC in the memo to:
MDD Leadership Development Con
2242 South Albion Street
Denver CO 80222
Posted Thursday, 07 November 2013 11:24 Written by Jess Cullinan
making a difference when it all seems like too much
MDD Southern Cluster Mid and High School Social Justice Mini-CON
WHEN: November 15-17, 2013
Friday @ 7pm – Sunday @ 9am
WHERE: Unitarian Church of Los Alamos, NM 1738 N. Sage St. Los Alamos, NM 87544
WHO: 7th - 12th GRADERS and their adult allies
Ratio – 7 to 1
WHAT: A time to connect, meet friends, play games, worship together, dance, eat, do workshops, laugh, practice good works, learn, create, share & so much more - SJ Project(s) To Be Determined
Download the flyer: Southern Cluster 2013
Registration: Registration is now closed. The Paypal links below are provided for the convenience of those who registered before November 6.
Pay for your registration online! (Note, you don't need to have a Paypal account - but you do need to already be registered for this event.)
Posted Tuesday, 15 October 2013 13:48 Written by Jess Cullinan
What: Workshops, community service, worships, music, and good food. Childcare and home stays available. 2 night overnight for youth.
Where: First Unitarian Church 569 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84102
Who: High school aged youth and adults of all ages. Youth:Sponsor ratio = 7:1
When: Youth & Sponsors Friday, Oct. 18th @ 6:30 - Sunday, Oct. 20th @ 9am
Why: Meet like-hearted friends-to-be. Celebrate together with musical guests Madrigal Mystery Tour. Deepen your understanding of covenant with one another and the world. Experience beloved community. Serve your neighbors.
$35/person or $150 for a group of 5.
Download the Flyer: Western Cluster 2013
Posted Tuesday, 03 September 2013 14:14 Written by Jess Cullinan
Check it out!!! All YRUU Event dates, times and locations in the same place, accessible at anytime!!! You can link it to your own iCal or google calendar.
Posted Monday, 09 January 2012 11:22 Written by Jennica Davis
Here are some tips and lists to consider when preparing to attend a youth CON:
Eat dinner before you arrive: there are always snacks available throughout the weekend but please arrive rested and well fed so that you can enjoy.
Please Bring the Following: You will be sleeping at the church. There could be couches available, but they would be very limited and you will likely be sleeping on the floor. A good night's rest will greatly improve your con experience so think about everything you'll need to stay cozy and get a good night's sleep.
- Sleeping bag/blanket
- Change of clothes for 2 days
- Jacket (for traveling outside or outside worship)
- Toiletries (deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste etc.)
- Travel mug (to use all weekend)
- Snacks you may need to fit dietary restrictions
- Prescription medication (only enough for yourself for the weekend. Please keep keep them out of sight and ask your sponsor to help you remember to take them.)
- Ear plugs
- Eye mask
- Musical instruments
- Songs, quotes, readings, objects to contribute to worship
- MP3 player/speakers/earbuds (to share music, fall asleep at night, recharge Please keep it limited to short periods so that you can stay present for the whole community)
Please Don't Bring:
- Weapons/implements of harm of any kind (includes utility knives)*
- Drugs, alcohol, tobacco*
- Techno distractions (laptops, video games etc.)
*If you bring these items to the con you must leave them hidden in a locked car. You will be asked to leave the event if you bring these items inside.
Have a BLAST!
Posted Friday, 02 September 2011 14:56 Written by Jennica Davis
Guidelines and Rules for all Mountain Desert District Youth Events
- Each church is required to send one adult for every seven youth.
- Participants should take care of themselves; this includes getting adequate rest and meals. Due to health risks obtaining permanent body modifications is inappropriate and not permitted.
- We are a caring community. Participation is encouraged in all of the workshops and activities to benefit from all they have to offer. Exclusive behavior is detrimental to the community and is strongly discouraged.
- Participants should have consideration and respect for the physical and emotional well-being of the community, hosts and place of gathering. Inappropriate or offensive language or behavior is not conducive to building community.
- Single gender rooms as well as a mixed gender room will be provided for sleeping. These are quiet areas on Friday night after the midnight curfew and on Saturday night after 2am.
- Participants who intend to arrive late must inform the registrar.
It is the responsibility of the Youth Chair(s) to make these rules clear at orientation:
- No drugs, alcohol or tobacco.
- No weapons or implement of harm. (This includes laser pointers.)
- No sexual or sexualized activity.
- No one may leave the youth event boundaries without permission.
Consequences for any participant — youth or adult — who fails to comply with these rules will be determined by the Spirit Committee, and may include: being sent home at your own expense; being placed on probation from youth events for one year; being assigned a peer mentor in order to return to the community.
Posted Thursday, 05 August 2010 13:08 Written by Jess Cullinan